Here are the details:
Our scoring process has been revised to do two things; create two different external review teams based on their area of expertise, and reduce the number of responses to questions that need to be scored by the external teams. As you will see below there will only be three response areas that need to be scored by external teams. The balance of the applications will be scored by Ecology. Because of program constraints, our process will occur primarily in July and August. We’ve provided two months to complete the individual scoring, taking into account vacations and other workloads. We estimate that the individual scoring will take about 18 hours (1/2 hour each application) to score. There will be an additional half to full day to reconcile team scores to come up with a final score for all applications.
This year we have advanced 36 proposals to the full application stage. Those full applications will be available in the Ecology Administration of Grants and Loans (EAGL) system by July 5, 2016. The review plan process is outlined below:
External Review Plan
- Prior to July 1, external reviewers are identified and provided with the information to create SAW accounts and access to EAGL.
- During July and August the reviewers will have read-only access to the entire applications, but will only be scoring responses to three questions in their area of expertise: two questions on either flood hazard or environmental restoration, and one need and support question. Flood hazard reduction experts will score responses to questions 1A, 1B, and 3. Environmental restoration experts will score responses to questions 2A, 2B, and 3. The reviewers are in the best position to assess the need and support. The entire scoring system, including the questions for external reviewers, are available here.
- Ecology will provide a template for the reviewers to record comments and scores. Scores and comments will not be entered into EAGL by the reviewers. Individual scores must be sent to Ecology by September 2, 2016.
- No later than early September, each review team will meet to compare scores and comments, and reconcile any significant disagreements on scores.
- Overall team scores are submitted for each project to Ecology for compilation and entering into EAGL in early September. This is the last task for the external review teams.
- Ecology staff enter final team scores into the EAGL system.
- All other scoring is performed by Ecology staff and entered into EAGL.
If you are interested in acting as a reviewer, for either the Ecosystem Restoration team or the Flood Hazard Reduction team, please email Scott McKinney at ECY by clicking here. If you have colleagues that may be interested please pass this message along to them. We’d like to have 5-6 people on each external team.
Thank you for your support of our FbD grant program. We look forward to hearing from you!